Topical Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (THOT )
Clinical Case Studies
Numobag® may be used to:
• Contain biological, chemical and nuclear attacks
• Treat single or mass casualties
• Create an instant, disposable isolation unit
• Stop advancement of insidious forms of biological attack: dermal anthrax, smallpox, necrotizing fasciitis, etc.
• Heal large skin lesions
THOT® heals more often, faster and with less scarring than traditional treatment of skin wounds. It was used to treat 9/11 World Trade Center burn victims with favorable results. The U.S. military is currently using Numobag® in Iraq.
Clinical Case studies:
(a) Third degree burns caused by a boiling oil spill on the left hand that caught fire.
(b) Healing following one week treatment with the Numobag®. (c) and (d) are two views showing complete healing following 3 weeks of Numobag® (12 treatments). Although there is loss of pigment due to the depth of the burn, there is no clinical scarring, no loss of sensation, and no loss of function.
(a-c) Sixteen third degree burns induced by electric current. Note presence of recurrent necrotic tissue following sharp debridement under anesthesia. (d-f) healing with minimal scarring following 4 weeks of the Numobag®.
Figure 3: Necrotizing Fasciitis
(a) Necrotizing fasciitis with gangrenous eschar; (b) base of ulcer showing exposed tendons and bone following debridement; good granulation tissue following 2.5 weeks the Numobag®, (c) abundant granulation tissue following 6 weeks of the Numobag.
Figure 4: Traumatic Crush Injury
(a) Traumatic crush injury (Stage IV) wound, following impaling of thigh on a stake during a motocross accident; note exposed ripped nerves (single arrow) (b) healing of wound after 4 weeks (12 treatments) of the Numobag® with minimal scarring and no loss of sensation or motor function.
Figure 5: Chronic Diabetic Ulcer
Figure 6: Philippines Soldier’s Amputation Avoided
The Numobag® provided a rapid healing, low cost treatment and avoided amputation. The Soldier’s wound closed after 12 weeks of treatment.
Advantages Over Traditional Treatment
Numobag® has many clinical, financial and patient-care advantages:
• Small and portable (weighs 1.7 pounds)
• Reduced staff workload
• Multiple patients treated simultaneously
• Decreased cost of overall treatment
• No cross-contamination
• Increases rate of healing
• Improved patient morale due to faster healing
• Heals advanced-stage pressure ulcers in record time
• Stimulates new blood vessel growth
• Lower cost per treatment than any other wound treatment method
• Validated to heal large skin lesions rapidly – 25 clinical studies in past 15 years support effectiveness
• Inexpensive and disposable isolation ward
• Front-line tool for reducing cross-contamination and infection of medical personnel
• Necessary for mass casualty treatment in critical initial wounds-care emergency
• Multiplies first responders’ efforts to reduce immediate overload
• Able to be stockpiled for years without maintenance or constant surveillance